2 Myths That May Be Holding You Back From Buying
Fannie Mae’s article, “What Consumers (Don’t) Know About Mortgage Qualification Criteria,” revealed that “only 5 to 16 percent of respondents know the correct ranges for key mortgage qualification criteria.”
Myth #1: I need a 20% Down Payment
Fannie Mae’s survey revealed that consumers overestimate the down payment funds needed to qualify for a home loan. According to the report, 76% of Americans either don’t know (40%) or are misinformed (36%) about the minimum down payment required.
Many believe that they need at least 20% down to buy their dream home, but many programs actually let buyers put down as little as 3%.
A report released by Down Payment Resource shows that 65% of first-time homebuyers recently purchased their homes with a down payment of 6% or less. Many renters may actually be able to enter the housing market sooner than they ever imagined with new programs that have emerged allowing less cash out of pocket.
Myth #2: I need a 780 FICO® Score or Higher to Buy
The survey revealed that 59% of Americans either don’t know (54%) or are misinformed (5%) about what FICO® score is necessary to qualify.
Many Americans believe a ‘good’ credit score is 780 or higher.
To help debunk this myth, let’s take a look at Ellie Mae’s latest Origination Insight Report, which focuses on recently closed (approved) loans.
As you can see on the right, 54.3% of approved mortgages had a credit score of 600-749.
Whether buying your first home or moving up to your dream home, knowing your options will make the mortgage process easier. Your dream home may already be within your reach.
Home Buyer Tips
- 2 Myths That May Be Holding You Back From Buying
- 5 Reasons Home Ownership is a Good Financial Investment
- Condo Loans - Low Down Payment
- Do’s and Don’ts During The Loan Process
- FHA 90 Day Property Flip Waiver
- Getting a Mortgage: Why So Much Paperwork?
- How to know if it’s a condo?
- How We Safe Guard Your Information
- Look for a Luxury Home? Now’s The Time To Act!
- Mortgage Insurance
- Niche - Unique Mortgages
- Path 2 Buy
- Ready To Make An Offer? 4 Tips For Success
- Rent vs. Buy
- Rising Rent - No Problem
- Student Loan Debt
- The Mortgage Process
- The Perfect Home Loan Application
- USDA-Wide Open Spaces
- What You Need To Know About VA Loans
- 3 Reasons Why First-Time Home Buyers Love FHA
- FasTrac Approval Process
- FHA - Home Ownership Opportunities
- FHA “Back-To-Work: Extenuating Circumstances” Program
- FHA 203k Streamline Rehab Loan
- Home Ready Program
- HomeStyle Renovation
- HUD-184 Native American Program
- Jumbo Loans
- Jumbo Plus Loans
- Loan Programs - Pros & Cons
- Reverse Mortgage
- Veterans Assistance Loan Benefits
- Delayed Financing Options
- Discount Points vs Premium Pricing
- Duplex Financing Options
- FICO Scores
- Flipped Property Finance Options
- How Low Interest Rates Increase Your Purchasing Power
- Jumbo - Credit Challenged
- No Lender Fees
- The Power of Pre-Approval for Agents
- Where Are Interest Rates Headed?
- Why Pre-Approval Should Be Your First Step
- Family Opportunity Program
- Fannie Mae - 97% LTV
- FHA - Benefits
- FHA - Credit Requirements
- FHA - Limited Savings
- FHA - Refinance
- HomeScout: Your Unfair Advantage
- Jumbo - Medical Loan Program
- Luxury Home - 2 Million Max
- NHF Platinum - Down Payment Assistance
- Non-Resident Alien Home Loan
- Union Advantage